Rokugan: Return of the Jade Raven
Perhaps the most common of the half-human races found across Rokugan, seppaniki are the descendants of spirit folk. Whether the result of a tryst with a kami in a wooded glen, the vision of a divine guardian, or demonic assault, these beings grow between two worlds – rarely feeling part of either one. Depending on the origin, or means of conception, seppaniki can either be ignored, hailed as a holy omen, or condemned as a dishonorable stain on the family tree.
There are three primary categories of seppaniki – Kami, Mitsukai and Oni. Half-kami are most commonly sired by forest or water spirits, and their skin is commonly a faint shade of green or blue. Half-mitsukai, descended from angelic beings, typically exhibit bold coloration such as metallic hair or radiant eyes. Half-oni, demon spawned, range from subtle tints of red on the skin to grotesque fangs, glowing red eyes, or even hints if flame in the breath. In all cases, it is not unheard of for seppaniki to appear completely human – only showing their nature in battle or times of great emotion.
Seppaniki are, for the most part, still products of human society. They are raised with their human parent or their descendants, treated like any other human in their clans. Spirit folk almost never tend to their progeny, nor do they gather into cities or settlements. As such, seppaniki have no true culture or homes of their own.
Seppaniki share a number of traits in common with each other, regardless of spiritual origin.
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Seppaniki mature at the same rate as humans, and live only slightly longer.
Honor. Seppaniki are treated as human, and start with the Honor Score of their respective clan and family.
Size. Seppaniki have the same builds as the average human. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Bonus Proficiencies. You are proficient in Religion and Persuasion.
Divine Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Sylvan (Kami), Celestial (Mitsukai), Jitsoku (Oni), and Rokugani.
Subraces. There are three categories of seppaniki: kami, mitsukai, and oni. Choose from one of these subraces.
KAMI: As a half-kami, you are descended from a spirit of nature. You often hear whispers from the trees, or a siren song from the sea. The land and elements call to you, and often the trappings of human buildings and civilization bring you great discomfort.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity increases by 2.
• Superior Low-Light Vision. You can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight and other conditions of poor illumination, and you retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Mask of the Wild. You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.
• Natural Legacy. You know the druidcraft cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the speak with animals spell once per day as a 2nd level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the pass without trace spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
MITSUKAI: As a half-mitsukai, you are descended from an angel or divine guardian. Your heart is filled with light, and your voice can either entrance or send enemies fleeing.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma increases by 2.
• Darkvision. Thanks to your celestial heritage, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
• Celestial Resistance. You have resistance to necrotic damage and radiant damage.
• Celestial Legacy. You know the light cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the lesser restoration spell once with this trait, and you regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Once you reach 5th level, you can cast the daylight spell once with this trait as a 3rd-level spell, and you regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
ONI: As a half-oni, you are descended from a demon or fiend. You constantly feel an inner rage, suppressing a roaring flame that tries to burst free at any opportunity. The hatred and fear that others show you only fans that flame further.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Strength increases by 2.
• Darkvision. Thanks to your fiendish heritage, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
• Hellish Resistance. You have resistance to fire and lightning damage.
• Infernal Legacy. You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the hellish rebuke spell once per day as a 2nd level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the darkness spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.