Rokugan: Return of the Jade Raven
The Naga are an ancient and proud race that ruled Rokugan long before humans ever appeared, once the masters of a peaceful and vast civilization. Though the Naga were brutal masters of the arts of war, they preferred quiet contemplation to conflict. Having waged war against the mysterious and long forgotten Ashlan and the Foul, the Naga found peace far more preferable. Long ago, the Naga fell into a deep slumber. Their race was dying, and they knew that if they did not survive, their ancient enemy the Foul would return and their ancient foe would rise again and be victorious. While the snake-men slept, their Nezumi slaves built their own empire, followed soon by the empire of the Rokugani. When the Rokugani ruled, the only remains of their glorious empire were destroyed and crumbled ruins. When the Clan War first began, nearly a thousand years after the Naga began their Great Sleep, the Naga awakened once more to find the world very different from the one they had left. The Naga stood side-by-side with the Rokugani against the armies of Fu Leng. Like their former Nezumi slaves, the Naga were themselves immune to the Taint. The Naga elders soon realized they had made a mistake. It was the destiny of men to defeat Fu Leng, not the Naga, their enemy had not returned. The Shadowlands’ invasion that triggered their Awakening, had not been meant for them. After the Battle of Oblivion’s Gate, the Naga fell back into the Great Sleep, to await their day of judgement, with a few who remain awake to guard their brethren and watch for the signs of the Foul’s return.
The Naga are generally peaceful, and only roused to anger in the face of an enemy, or when faced with the strange word games that humans play when a course of action is clear. At least to the Naga anyway. The entire Naga race share a mysterious group consciousness they refer to as The Akasha, through which the they communicate, combined with speech and impression communicated through the group mind. This often makes it difficult for humans and Naga to communicate with one another, and are often to prone to misunderstand and to be misunderstood.
THE NAGA AND OTHER CLANS
Despite some initial misunderstandings and cultural differences, the humans and Naga quickly made their peace in face of the armies of Fu Leng. The rift between them reopened, however, when the Naga abandoned the Crab armies under Hida Yakamo at Hiruma Castle. This was overcome when the full threat of the Naga’s ancient enemy, or at least, a manifestation of it, the Living Shadow, came to Rokugan. After the battle against the Shadow and the War of Spirits, most of the Naga returned to the Great Sleep, not without first making peace with the Crab and the Dragon, the first through the resurrection of Hida Yakamo, briefly, through the power of The Akasha, the second by marriage of Mirumoto Daimi to the Mara.
There is little chance a Naga would ever be mistaken for a human. The Naga appear to be long serpents with the torso of a human attached to it. Female Naga have the ability to shift between a tail and two legs, however, this ability can prove dangerous if overused. The Naga vary in coloration, from green, to brown, to black, even yellow. Their skin is scaled, with serpentine eyes and fangs, giving them an exotic, and otherworldly look. Some Naga, particularly the Cobra bloodline, possess mutations that exacerbate their serpentine features. Malformed mouths, hoods, even a loss of human features altogether are not unheard of. Occasionally some Naga children are born so deformed that they are abandoned to die. These pitiful wretches are referred to as abominations.
Naga share a number of traits in common with each other, regardless of bloodline.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2.
Age. Naga reach maturity within a decade, and live over a century on average
Honor. Naga have an Honor Score of 0. They do not subscribe to the tenets of bushido, and prefer their own cultural measures of pride and alignment.
Size. Naga reach just over 8 feet tall on average, with serpentine bodies that can extend to around 20 feet, and weigh between 225 and 350 pounds. Your size is Large.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Bite: You have a natural bite attack that deals 1d6 points of piercing damage.
Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Female Legs. Female Naga can, as an action, change their serpentine body into humanoid legs and vice versa. Doing so ends any effect the body may have been causing at the time, such as constriction, and prevents the use of those abilities until switched back. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier, after which you must take a long rest to regain all uses.
One Soul. Naga share a single soul among their population. As such, you cannot be resurrected, revived or reincarnated once dead.
Poison Immunity. You are immune to Poison damage and the Poisoned condition.
Scales. Your base armor class increases by 1. This natural AC applies while wearing armor as well.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Naga.
Subraces. There are five Naga bloodlines in existence: Asp, Chameleon, Cobra, Constrictor, and Greensnake. Choose one of these subraces.
ASP. The Asp are the rank and file soldiers of the Naga, the second most numerous bloodline (only outnumbered by the Greensnakes), and the most aggressive and combative of the Naga. The Asp show thinly veiled contempt for all those they consider weaker than themselves, namely, humans, and advocated war against the Empire when they awoke from the Great Sleep.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution Score increases by 1.
• Venom. When you make a bite attack, you can choose to inject venom as a bonus action. If you do, the target must make a Constitution save against a DC equal to 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. On a failure, they take an additional 1d6 points of poison damage and suffer the Poisoned condition for 1 hour or until treated. Once poisoned, the creature takes no further poison damage or conditions from repeated attacks.
• Spit Venom. You can spit your venom as a ranged attack up to 30 feet. A creature hit must make the same saving throw as if bitten, and apply the same conditions. You can spit venom a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier, after which you must take a long rest to regain all uses of this ability.
CHAMELEON. Next to the Cobra, the Chameleon are the second most mutated of the Naga species, however, their mutations have proven to be beneficial to the race. The Chameleon, like their namesake, have the ability to blend in with their surroundings, making them excellent scouts and spies. The Chameleon also have the natural ability to breath underwater, which relegates them to the task of guarding the aquatic egg-nests of the rest of the Naga. The Chameleon are charming, outgoing, and gregarious, as able to get along with members of other species as they can with their own.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
• Amphibious. You can breathe both air and water, and can never drown in natural water.
• Camouflage. You are proficient in Stealth. You also have advantage on Stealth ability checks if you move no more than half of your base movement speed.
COBRA. The Cobra are the masters of the Naga’s strange pearl magic, making the Cobra revered among the Naga. The great power the Cobra command comes with a price, as the Cobra are the most mutated of the Naga species, and few Cobra survive into adulthood without some severe physical deformity. As a result, the Cobra are very rare, even to the Naga. The Cobra are a somewhat secretive and sinister bloodline. They keep to themselves and are fascinated by human magic.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
• Mystic Legacy. You know the eldritch blast cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast one 1st level wizard spell (chosen at creation) once per day as a 2nd level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can one 2nd level wizard spell (chosen at creation) once per day. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
• Serpent Mind. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed. In addition, creatures who attempt to use any Charisma ability check or Charisma-based skill checks against you do so with disadvantage.
CONSTRICTOR. While the Cobra are the magicians of the Naga race, the Constrictor are the priests and mystics of the Naga. No other bloodline possesses the same knowledge and ability of the Akasha. Constrictors are even more rare than the Cobra, and in times of trouble, the Naga can count on the Constrictor’s connection with the Akasha to summon up memories of the race’s past to better deal with modern problems. The Constrictor as a whole are very somber and conservative. They are very serious about their duties and are not given to sudden bouts of traveling or adventuring. If you do see one outside of Naga territory, they are most likely on some important business that will effect the entire Naga race.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
• Constrict. When you successfully hit a target with your bite attack, you can immediately attempt to grapple them as a bonus action. You can constrict as a bonus action for every round thereafter in which you are still grappling. Doing so deals 1d8 + your Strength modifier in bludgeoning damage every round.
• Mystic. You are proficient in Religion and History.
GREENSNAKE. The Greensnake are the most numerous of the Naga race. They are also the smallest of their species, with slim, athletic builds, rather than the bulk possessed by their Asp and Constrictor cousins. Greensnakes take up the role of scouts and diplomats of the Naga, making use of their small size, quick speed, even quicker wits, and keen intellect.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
• Size. Your size is Medium, unlike the other bloodlines.
• Lunge. Your bite attack has a range of 10 feet. You are considered to have a reach of 10 feet, even when making attacks of opportunity or similar reactions.
• Public Relations. You are proficient Persuasion and Intimidation.